With the weather warming up and school ending, moving season is well underway. You’re in love with your Purple® Mattress, so there’s no way you’re leaving it behind!
When your comfy bundle of joy was delivered to you, it had been magically compressed and rolled into a convenient — albeit heavy — tube. Unfortunately, unless you have elves or a gigantic, custom-made rolling machine hanging out in your living room, there’s no getting it back in.
So what is the best way to move your Purple® to your beautiful new abode? Whether you’re moving across the city or the country, moving is a hassle. We can’t come help you move, so we’ve compiled a few tips and tricks to make the journey a little smoother.
You’ve Got This
It’s no secret that the Purple® Mattress, while worth its weight in gold, is heavy and floppy…so moving it can feel a bit like wrestling a drunk octopus….it’s not as fun as it sounds.
Before we jump into taming the beast, let’s cover some heavy lifting basics:
- Warm Up — It may feel silly, but your back will thank you! Stretch your lower back and legs.
- Team Lift — Move smarter, not harder! We know you’re super strong, so there’s no need put your back at risk trying to prove you can do it yourself.
- Use Your Legs — Your legs have a lot of power! Let them to do most of the heavy lifting so your back and arms don’t wear out before you can finish the move.
Great! Now that we’ve got that covered, let’s go over the best two techniques we have found for moving or storing the Purple® Mattress.
When Moving a Short Distance
If your bed is going to be wrapped up less than a day, the easiest, most economical way to move it is to:
- Wrap it in plastic — This helps keep it clean! You can use a tarp or a mattress storage bag (which you can order online or find locally at most places that sell moving supplies).
- Fold it in half — Or even thirds if you can. This helps control the floppiness and makes the size a lot more manageable. Keep the bottom of the mattress on the outside to help protect the top from damage and dirt.
- Tie it with non-stretchy* straps — These will not only keep it rolled up, but make great handles for lifting and carrying! We highly recommend three or four nylon ratchet straps.
*Stretchy straps, such as bungee cords, will work for a little while to keep the mattress rolled or folded, but aren’t great for lifting and carrying.
When Going Long Distance or Storing Your Mattress
If your Purple® Mattress is going into storage or it will be in the moving process for more than a day, you’ll want to keep it flat and protected. Here’s what we recommend:
- Wrap It in Plastic — Same as before, a plastic mattress storage bag will help keep the mattress clean.
- Box It Up — This will help keep the mattress from flopping around, making it easier to manage in the long run. You’ll likely be able to find mattress boxes at local moving supply stores, or find them online. Be sure to keep the top of the mattress on top, so the grid isn’t being squished.
- Tape It Up Good — Be thorough and use strong tape. Reinforced packing tape is great to help the box keep its shape, especially when moving it.
A New Beginning
Now that your mattress is all packed up and ready to go, you’re ready to drive off into the sunset and settle into your new home. Congrats!
And just think how good your Purple® Mattress is going to feel after all that moving!